You would think that finding valuable hardware on my doorstep, free for the keeping would have me dancing and singing all day long. But as fate would have it, Joy can't be given freely. Not even by the most benevolent of corporations such as Google. As well intended as there intentions may have been, their actions could not have been more ill timed.
I stood for a moment on my doorstep, curious as to what the plane brown box ( wrapped in plastic to protect it from the weather ) could be. From deep inside came the dreadful realization that it was indeed the UPS package that I had hoped for over the last several weeks. Impatience had led to frustration, and then to desperation which had pushed me out into this foul weather on a mission...to get a new computer.
I stood frozen ( appropriately in the falling sleet ), not daring to accept this cruel irony. My arms held the new Toshiba gently, while my mind held on to the fading hope that my journey and my money had not been spent in vane. But vanity it surely was, as Fate now taunted me with a brown box. In that brief moment I didn't want it to be the CR - 48 that I had asked for. I wanted it to be her birthday gift from one of my wife's relatives.
The Toshiba sits on a shelf, unpacked and untouched. I'm typing on my dream machine while my wife sleeps fitfully ( her envy knows no bounds ). I will be up all night with this marvelous instrument, while she plots ( in her dreams ) and schemes to get her hands on the Toshiba. $700+ for that Lap-top...gone...to her...cruel irony...she wins again.
Irony is a woman, and I think I married her daughter.
Oh well, her birthday is next week, and I really hadn't a clue to what she wanted. Now, there is no doubt. It's either the Toshiba, or my head on a platter. Thanks Google.