Social Connections and Content - Google Social Search is a page not often visited. I've been keeping an eye on it lately and have noticed some changes. This more than idle curiosity, because Social Search, our Social connections and our Content will likely be the foundation of Loops. Changes on this page are a big hint of progress in Google's efforts.
The first portion of the page ( screenshot below ) shows my 387 Contacts, Groups I have assigned them to in Google Contacts, and the Paths of our connection. Only 2 of my connections display Paths, the other 385 show No content. Until yesterday, all of my Contacts displayed the paths that we are connected on. I honestly don't remember any Groups displayed on this page.
I also noticed that Direct connections through links from Google Profiles or Connected Accounts displays zero ( 0 ) items. I do remember this section of the page was heavily populated with my contacts.
These first two of my connections to have Content displayed on my page are Kurt Starnes and Marcin Whichary. I'll be checking back periodically to see if/when any others are displayed. Those with inquiring minds like mine might also want to take a peek.
Users were able to form Groups in Google Reader even before Buzz was rolled out. Currently, Google Reader allows the choice of sharing to everyone, or to a select Group. But it does not allow us to select a Group when we are notified of new followers. That function resides in Contacts. I know Linda Lawrey has inquired about this much desired function.
I recently edited my Contact list, forming a Group of Contacts that Follow me, with 187 members. This Group does not include users that follow me but I do not follow. I have several other Groups; Family, Friends, Cr-48 users, etc. I'm curious, will this larger Group be central to my Loops? I'm hoping so, because they form the core of my Google Social activity.
edit: Apr 12, 2011; I've notice a third connection displayed with content. Daniel White is a software engineer at Google.
