They say, "When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail." So when I did a routine search for key words ( "Rogers Service Center" ) in a contact's Buzz item looking for more sources of the story she shared, I noticed two nearly identical items appear in search results ( Screenshot below ), the first search result appearing to be a BETA social circle search. The second I assume to be a standard search result.
The header, attached to the BETA result navigates to a page tied to Social on the side-bar that is formated a little different. The text in the body may have been taken from the original NYT post, or from the text that Linda added to her Buzz post in the note section of that Buzz post. More >> navigates to Linda Lawrey's Buzz item associated with her Google Profile.
What is Steve Lawrey ( Thingys ) doing there, and what does this have to do with layers, products and new developments? Nothing actually. In fact he shouldn't be linked at all. His link is there because Linda did a @shout-out to Steve after the quote from the NYT article in her Buzz item.
Some people do this in the header of a Buzz item, some do it in a comment after they post. I've done it, and I've also inserted shortened URLs to related items. It is a dandy little Buzz feature, but I'm still holding that hammer and these duel search results still look like nails so I'm going to keep banging away at this.
If Social search is to be a layer in the larger Google enterprise, then we may not be able to use any mark-up in our Buzz or Google Reader shared items. A link to Steve's profile is irrelevant to my initial search, and only marginally related to the NYT article that Linda shared. She only inserted the link to force the item to his inbox. I've seen many Buzz users insert multiple shout-outs in their posts. I don't think this BETA search will handle that well.
Imagine a million clicks leading away from relevant social search results.
Some people do this in the header of a Buzz item, some do it in a comment after they post. I've done it, and I've also inserted shortened URLs to related items. It is a dandy little Buzz feature, but I'm still holding that hammer and these duel search results still look like nails so I'm going to keep banging away at this.
If Social search is to be a layer in the larger Google enterprise, then we may not be able to use any mark-up in our Buzz or Google Reader shared items. A link to Steve's profile is irrelevant to my initial search, and only marginally related to the NYT article that Linda shared. She only inserted the link to force the item to his inbox. I've seen many Buzz users insert multiple shout-outs in their posts. I don't think this BETA search will handle that well.
Imagine a million clicks leading away from relevant social search results.
